Monday, August 1, 2011

Summer is Still Time for Learning

Although school is out, summer can still be filled with all sorts of meaningful learning. The school year is often overtaken with activities like dance lessons, sports games and practices, church, and piano lessons just to name a few. I like to take advantage of the slower summer pace to teach the kids skills that the school year just will not allow for.
I encourage my girls interest in sewing, embroidery, and other crafts by having "classes" once or twice a week for them. They look forward to "classes" and take and active interest in the "subject" for that week. I have even included my son, who is a typical teenager in every way, in the fun. We all spend time in the garden weeding, planting, caring for, and learning about plants in the garden.
Take time in summer to encourage your child to try new activities. It is wonderful bonding time, and it may just spark a life-long interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment